Friday, September 14, 2012

Hair Chalking.



You might ask, wtf is this 'hair chalking'? Well refer to the picture above. (I took it off tumblr)

Hair chalking is basically colouring your hair with chalk. It's not permanent and it'll wash out instantly when in contact with water! I posted a profile picture on facebook after I chalked my hair about 2 weeks ago and since, had a lot of people asking me to teach them how to do it. 

Since trials are over, heck why not? But mind the pictures and their quality. My sister took them for me and I was too lazy to edit them, so just ignore and look past all the towels and what-nots of the backgrounds.

WARNING : 
Can stain clothes, hands (For a few hours) and gets messy.

You're going to need :
1. Pastel chalk
2. Hair brush
3. Water or hairspray
4. hair dryer or heating tool
5. Gloves (Optional)




Step 1 : Comb through your hair. Get rid of whatever knots you have cause you'll have a difficult time combing your hair after.


Step 2 : Pick a section of your hair that you want to chalk, and tie the rest of your hair in a pony tail to make sure nothing gets in the way with you and your chalking! (I suggest you do this in the bathroom over your sink)


Step 3 : Wet the section of hair you plan to chalk. What I normally do is I just stick my head under a running tap and soak that section. Spraying on the water isn't going to get good effects and it kinda damages your hair more. (Explination below)




Step 4 : Choose your chalk and 'colour' your hair. Just wedge the chalk and hair together between your fingers, get a good tension between the two and pull till the end. Repeat a couple of times. (Refer to the pictures)





You should get something like this after  few goes. (:


Step 5 : Dry the chalked section with a hair dryer or heating tool. This will set the chalk in your hair. (If you have dry hair like me, I recommend you use a hair dryer, refer below)



Step 6 : Comb through the back and you're done!




TADA! This was the profile picture I used. 


OKAY. So just a few tips and questions to answer.




1. What chalk should I use and where can I find them?



Use pastel chalk. Its more for arts a crafts to draw on paper and colour and it's definitely not the same as your usual black board chalk. The pigments of pastel chalk are smaller if I'm not mistaken. Just DO NOT USE NORMAL CHALK. I got mine at Daiso for RM5 though the quality isn't that good, but hey, you got to give and take for 18 colours for just RM5. You can also find them at Art friend (Gardens mall) but they're much more expensive. (If I remember correctly, about RM4 per stick) I think it's of a better quality, but again, you gotta give and take for 18 colours for RM5!



2. Does chalking my hair damage it? Would it stain my clothes?



This is solid proof. My comb is officially stained from hair chalking. Yes, it can stain your clothes especially when it's wet, so make sure you wear something you don't mind getting dirty. Also use an old comb you're willing to let get dirty and stained. Which is also why I said it's optional to wear gloves because it can also stain your hair for a day or a few hours. And it's sad to say but yes, hair chalking can damage your hair. Remember, pastel chalk was made for drawing and art, not for hair purposes. 




3. Is there a difference between using water and hairspray? And also a hair dryer and heating tool?

Yes, but VERY slight. It's really based more on self preference really. I prefer using water over hair spray because it's easier to get on and wash off. Also hair spray is stickier to work with and to comb after but on a positive note, it helps the chalk stay on longer. Also, I just prefer using a hair dryer instead of a heating tool because I have very coarse dry hair. I'm already damaging my hair with chalk, so I rather not damage it further with a heating tool, so I opt to use a hair dryer instead. It's also a cleaner option because I won't have to stain and clean the heating tool! :D





Anyway, that's basically it! :D
Hope you guys have fun trying this out, experiment with colours, and if you're doing this with a friend, braid each others hair cause it's really nice braided. (:
If you have any more questions, just comment and ask me!

Have fun! 
xx.


No comments:

Post a Comment